Friday, April 6, 2012

River Change

With water temps in the mid 30s and 40s on the West Branch of the Ausable, the levels are nice for wading. It is also a great time to learn the river again, as there are many changes. Such changes are obvious every couple of years. For me as a guide, this means identifying new dangers, both on the land and water; safety is my #1 priority.

I have noticed that many fishing spots on the local rivers have a depth no greater then 5ft at this time of the year. While these places may be appealing to trout at various times, the deep, slow pools tend to be my first choice during this time of the year. These pools often hold giants and may be of more importance on the West Branch. Why? Stay tuned.
               
Note: Watch out for Thornapple bush on the river. It loves waders, as I sit here and pull a 1 inch thorn from my hand!
                  

No comments:

Post a Comment