Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Labradors and Leeches

   After another night of mix precipitation, as the idea of Brook Trout along the edges of a quiet small pond had been fresh in my head. How these ideas become has always amazed me. This comes after long conversation with another fishing guide the night before. Not being able to take it any longer, I jump out of bed and throw a pair of boots on, grab the closest fly box and a favorite k9 friend. Stepping into the woods to take a short hike to this hidden Brook Trout pond, I can't help but notice how the forest looks so much more alive with the much needed moisture. With my Labrador Retriever friend running himself silly, I tell him to heel and have him sit on top of small beaver hut next to me. Lowering my profile so as not to spook any fish, I know pursuing Brook Trout  without a boat is short lived. However, when water temps are between the mid 40s to low 50s, they can be all over ponds and many times along shorelines and near structures.  Fly selection can be rather simple with a couple of favorites occupying  most of the space in my fly box; one that I turn to all year, whether pursuing these fish in ponds, or small streams is the Hornberg.   

 One thing that I notice often with Brook Trout in ponds and streams is once water temp is above 45 degrees, they usually prefer a very active fly; not active in one location though, stripped away from them fast is preferred.

With water temps in these ranges on many ponds, fishing these waters can be a great option and even better with a big ol Labrador Retriever by your side.

I would love to know how many leeches per square foot can be found in this pond. You won't find me swimming in this pond and yes if you show me a leech, the Mouse comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment